And now for the longest awaited recipe ever! I’ve loved this recipe since the first time I made it & find myself making it over and over again. It tends to be my go-to recipe to ‘wow’ the meat eater & it works every time! I made these for the Superbowl party this year & Im just now getting it posted! I have this terrible habit of writing recipes on scraps of paper and then either losing them in a pile of other recipes or just never getting around to writing them out in a way nice enough to give other people. Shame on me!
Because this sloppy joe recipe’s main ingredient is lentils I’ve lovingly nicknamed it sloppy lennies. I originally found this on Happy Herbivore. Her meal plans are incredible and if you don’t want to think about what to make & are looking to stay on a really good budget I highly recommend trying it. This is one of the free sample meal plans you can get from her (I’ve only slightly tweaked mine). Here is the link to her page: https://www.getmealplans.com/ And the moment you’ve all been waiting for!
16 oz tomato sauce
1/2 cup peach preserves
4 tbsp molasses
4 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp liquid smoke
1 large onion (I used white)
2 bell peppers
4 cloves garlic
3 tbsp chipotle in adobo sauce (I like spice & also added a little of the sauce too but adjust to your taste)
4 cups cooked lentils (I buy precooked ones at Meijer because Im a terrible lentil maker haha)
8 hamburger buns
- In a bowl, whisk together tomato sauce, peach preserves, molasses, apple cider vinegar, and liquid smoke and then set a side.
- Lightly spray pan with cooking spray & saute onion for about 3 minutes.
- Add in bell pepper and continue to saute until tender (dont overcook!)
- Add in garlic and chipotle, cooking until fragrant.
- Pour in tomato mixture.
- Lower heat and simmer until thickened. About 15-20 minutes
- Add in lentils and stir to combine. Let simmer just a bit more to warm up lentils if needed.
- Remove from heat & spoon onto buns.
- Watch shocked meat eaters go back for seconds (haha just kidding EVERYONE goes back for seconds!)
Hope you all enjoy this recipe! Let me know what you think. Happy cooking!